Saturday, January 10, 2009

This one is for Rob

Yes I know... I am in Africa and I just posted a picture of a donkey...

It has been a very hectic and exciting week here, and I have not had the time to take out my camera much, or update my blog. But after email number 5 from people harassing me to update (it's only been 4 days...), I decided to find time to write a new entry.

Mum, you wanted to know what my daily life is like so I will try to go through an entire day here in Maun.

I get up every morning at 6:30am, there is no need for an alarm down here. The sun rises and the animals start making so much noise it is impossible to sleep. Roosters are my alarm, there is one that enjoys spending time around my tent (which as of now has weathered about two dozen thunder storms). After getting up it's off to the shower. This is not like the showers in Canada. It's outdoors in a stall, heated by the sun. So it's not hot in the morning. The Dung beatles enjoy the showers, and they are big... like golf ball size... there are millipedes everywhere, praying mantis love sitting on your towel, and apprently two weeks ago there was a cobra in the shower... yes a cobra. After the quick shower it's a 200m walk to the main road.

From here I wait for the Combi. The ten person van usually has about 16 people in it when I get in, so it's a little tight. the record for a combi I have been in is 21 people, very cramped, but the people are great. The ride into town takes anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes. Some of these drivers drive down ever side street for miles to pick people up, then drive under 20km an hour. Others are maniacs... It's like Combi Roulette.

On a side from my day, a little talk about work. I have been at Kavengo Air everyday now since Tuesday. It's a small company, there are 4 pilots here. As for aircraft they have 2 Cessna 172's, 2 Cessna 206's, and 2 Cessna 208's. They have been very good to me, and have had me flying up in the delta for 6 hours in the last two days. I was on a 5 hour of flight time, internship/interview. John (the Chief Pilot) has been very straight forward with me, they dont know if they will hire another pilot this year, but as long as I'm around here I'm in if they do. So I am going to stick here, they give me flight time, it's airconditioned, and the people are awesome. Hopefully in the next couple entries I will know for sure whether or not I will get a job. If I do: Great. If not: I will have all my delta time in to get my licence converted over and try somewhere else. I really am hoping for this company though.

So after getting off the Combi I come down here to Kavengo air. I spend my day chatting with the boys, and whenever there is a flight I go on it to build time. The flights around the delta are amazing. Yesterday we did a scenic flight. 1 hour of low level (500ft), following rivers, lakes, and lagoons. We saw a herd of almost 1000 elephants, hundreds of hippos, giraffes, wildabeasts. The terrain is stunning. Then comes the thunder storm dodging... there are storms here like you wouldn't believe. they don't last long, but they are so impressive.

After the day at Kavengo, I get a ride home from one of the pilots. From here I usually go out for drinks with all the other pilots. There is an American camped next to me who is a great guy (also looking for work). The bars here are very friendly and all outdoors. After drinking with the boys and getting all the latest on potential jobs, I hitch a ride with some back to my camp and go to bed.

On a random note: I've been trying some of the local food. So far I have had this dry meat stuff (Meat is meat applies here, just dont ask), it's quite good and tastes like jerky, but is probably donkey or something. Also bone marrow, super rich, and has a texture like Escargot. Then some of the foods down in the market.

Well that is all for now. When I find some time I will start taking more picture I promise. I also don't take my camera on flights yet. I will start when I have a job.

Cheers,

Eli

3 comments:

  1. Eli, enjoying your story about "your friends" in the shower. As a teen I had to share an interesting shower set up above an sump drain with frogs. I thought that was weird, but in the quest for a shower -- sharing is definitely an option -- the frogs did their thing and I did mine. I am having a hard time with the idea of a cobra though.
    This was great to get an idea of "a day in the life of....". it is a good thing you have good people skills.
    Stay dry! Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Eli. Sounds like a pretty good life. It must seem surreal flying over all those exotic animals and topography. Don't you miss ground squirrels and coyotes? Apparently Maun is famous for its ronin donkeys and goats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eli! You're having an awesome adventure, and I'm enjoying following it. Good luck with the air company. Sounds like a good bunch to work with. Claire

    ReplyDelete