Sunday, January 25, 2009

New home, New Animals






Alright, well I've been here in Maun for exactly three weeks and finally I am moving out of my tent tomorrow morning. The place is on the other side of town, right down by the river. My rent is 1500 Pula a month... or about 250CDN, so Fairly cheap... even though it is much more then I am currently paying for my tent. The place is small, but it still has one bedroom, one living room (currently a second bedroom, but I will change that), a Kitchen (full appliances), and a Bathroom. It's on a very large piece of property with four other houses. The landlord seems like a nice guy, he runs safaris in the delta. It's a little out of the way (about 2km, where I'm currently staying is 12km), so I think i'm going to go shopping for a bike in the next couple days.

On the Job front... Nothing to report

On the flying side of things... Nothing to report

On the animal side of things... a little to report:

As you can see from the top picture, I found some more giraffes in My favorite park. You can get much closer then they look in the photo. Also Don't nag me about not shaving... there was no water this morning. I was wondering down one of the less maintained paths in the park (very hard to follow), and eventually got lost, off the trail. I then found myself surrounded by about 50 Baboons. These ones are fairly skiddish and run off when you get within about 50ft... still pretty close. They don't mind your being there if you just sit down and wait for them to get acustom to you. Finally also say some warthogs today at the park.

Now the last picture was from Friday night. I put my beer down to go and play pool and when I came back this little guy was happily perched on the top of my beer. I left him to do as he pleased and he left my beer after about 5 minutes.

Well that's all I have for you today, I will post pictures of my new Casa in the next couple days (and a link for google maps so you can see where it is).

Cheers,

Eli

2 comments:

  1. Hey, how did you know there would be comments on the facial hair? I think it goes with the bush setting. So has moving into the house cut back on any of the critters moving in for a night time snuggle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house sounds like a serious commitment. I hope the airlines are impressed.
    Hard to tell but is your beer can buddy a mantis? I had one land on my golf ball in Toronto. What are you going to do? They can be intimidating but they are also cool to look at so who wants to shoo them away. The baboons, on the other hand, have big canines. Start carrying a stick... and a GPS. That is no place to get lost.

    ReplyDelete