Sunday, January 4, 2009

Maun Under






Well I'm here in Maun, and before I go any further I want to explain how to say the word Maun. It's like "down" with a "M", not like "lawn". Now that that is taken care of I can write a quick blurb about life down here on day one.

After landing in Maun, I went outside and right infront of me was "Delta Air", so I went in and had a good solid conversation with the chief pilot and looks like i'm going to be going at least a month unemployed no matter where I apply, but I was sorta expecting this. He then proceded to give me the names and address of every other chief pilot and town, and what to expect from each one. Steve (the chief pilot of Delta Air) is a great guy, and I am hoping to get on with his company.

After a quick meet and greet with every chief pilot in town, It was off to Audi Camp. This is where I will be living until I find a suitable place to live closer to town. It's about 20km from down town, but very easy to get to. I took a "combi" for the first time, essentially a Van crammed with people, but very cheap. The 20km cost 2.75 pula, which works out to be under $0.50CDN. The locals are great with me, as I have no Idea how these things work, but have been managing thus far.

Audi camp is not what I expected... It has a swimming pool, showers, and a Massive bar (in the photos). Food here is cheap, as is beer. A burger and salad is 40 pula (7.00CDN), anda beer is 13 pula (2.00CDN) (at a bar... In a resort). So it is nice to be in a country where the Canadian dollar is actually worth something. On a side note, I bought a cell phone down here, it was 200 Pula with time on it and a SIM card (about 50CDN)... no contract... the only down side is making calls is expensive, but all the pilots seem to rely on text messages.

There are animals everywhere in town, no not Elephants. But everywhere you look there are Cows, Ox, Bulls, Goats, Chickens, donkeys and Dogs, on every street, in every yard... everywhere. Tomorrow I will be checking out the game reserve and I will try to upload some pictures afterwards, but the internet here is a bit Dodgy.

As for my tent... As you can see from the pictures, it is small... very small... but it shall do for sleep in. Well that is all for now, until next time

Eli

3 comments:

  1. Just getting caught up Eli. Great pics. Sounds like some good beer discoveries. Glad to hear you finally got your stuff before you got further along. Good luck with the job hunt. It may be a month of interesting adventures and meeting the local people. Can't go wrong there. Doug wants me to forward him your blog reference as he was trying to read over my shoulder. Cheers! Keep it coming. Kat from Kluane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you tease me with a shot of you half naked....what about the other half? :P Can't wait to see more pics...of the reserve of course. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your camp reminds me of the place Helene and I stayed on Hook Island on the Great Barrier Reef. Hot. Tiny tent. Critters everywhere. More insects than I ever want to see again. But a great bar with cheap beer where you could watch the cockroach races every night.
    Hope you get on with someone as soon as possible. In the meantime, soak up Africa!

    ReplyDelete