Saturday, January 17, 2009

Camps and Flying






Well folks, finally I think I have the post and update that most of you have been asking for. Unfortunately it is not that I got a job, but more that I finally took my camera out for a day of flying into camps. Over the last two days I've spent my time flying into safari camps in the Okavango Delta.

It all starts off with showing up at the airport and asking every company if they have any flights that you can ride along on. Once you find one (I find I average about one flight every two days), you simply get a ticket, and jump in the airplane. I'm always in the right seat, and fly the entire flight, pretty much acting as an autopilot for the employed pilots. Now the type of aircraft really depends on the day, but it ranges from Cessna 172's to Cessna 208's.

The pictures from the air of the delta, does not do the delta justice. These ones I was at 2,500' above the ground. On scenic flights we fly down at 500' which provides a much better view but I still don't think any picture I take from the plane will do it justice. The delta is also sprawling with life. You see herds of Elephants, groups of Giraffes, and pods (?) of Hippos. There are wildabeasts, zebras, buffalo, impalas.... everywhere.

After landing in the camp, in this case Seba Camp, I get picked up by a land cruiser, and driven into the camp. These are not your typical pitch a tent and make a fire places. These camps range between $2,000 and $7,000 US dollars a night. It's amazing. You arrive and within minutes the camp manager comes and greets you (as a pilot looking for work). They then feed you until you explode, everything is free of charge for pilots. I then opted to wonder around and amire the expansive the canopy, the buildings, and the wildlife. Even if I'm not employed, I am thoroughly enjoying my time down here. The free thing extends even more when you get back to Maun. Every employed pilot knows that you are not making any money, so insist on covering most of your tabs and dinners. If I wasn't a pilot, I would be tempted to come here and just pretend to be one, haha.

Anyways I'm exhausted and will be heading to bed early tonight. I hope everybody is well over in Canada, and I really enjoy reading the comments on this thing.

Cheers,


Eli


PS: That's an Elephants skull I'm leaning on


2 comments:

  1. Great stuff Eli, There are times in your life which offer the best money never made. They don't usually last long but it looks like you know how to ride the wave. Best of luck in landing a job.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! Quite the experience. Who knows what is ahead ... whatever, you'll never forget this stuff. Something to talk about when you get to be our age. And of course, something to talk about for us at this age ie. did you see Eli's latest blog.... arm chair traveling at its best.

    ReplyDelete