Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Namibian Plan





I'm back in Swakopmund right now, but will be leaving for Cape Cross tomorrow morning. Cape Cross is one of the largest fur seal colonies on the planet... so expect a few shots of seals in the coming days. After a day in the Cape, I'll consider heading farther up the skeleton coast, It really depends what the terrain is like, and how much it will set me back. I don't think I'll go past the gate as it's 700 an night once you are past it. From there I will be going farther north to see the cave writtings, petrified forest, and the "organ pipes" (a really strange rock formation). After this I'm planning on heading down to Sossuvlei, to see the worlds largest sand dunes. So that's my plan for the next week and a bit.
This part is for all the Karate people following this... so possibly just Rob... I managed to train in Windhoek on Monday, and Swakopmund last night. It's amazing that no matter which club I go to, it seems that people involved with shotokan karate like to go out of their way to make you feel more at home. The training was a nice break from the usual beach life. I wish that I could train more down here, the instructor in Windhoek was excellent... even if their form of Kumite was very very very very light... very light...
As for the pictures up here:
A self portrait of me walking through the Dunes for the first time, this is right on the northern boarder of the Namib desert. Then we have a can I found about a kilometer into the dunes. Finally we have just a shot of the deserts edge.
Next time expect seals, lots of seals
Eli

7 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job of making me feel I am on a trip in southern Africa. Thanks, Wynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I see you just posted this - can you call me now? Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sand, what a lot of sand. Life is a reflexive art, maybe its more like dance, maybe its a pile of sand. I don't know. Keep having fun, and post more pics. Thanks for the journey.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. how on gods green earth are you wearing a sweatshirt? You know skin cancer is going to go extinct from people like you!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you are getting out and doing. Shotokan people are great hosts for the most part but you never know what you are going to get in the dojo. As often as not, I got the "kill the new guy!" welcome. No problem though. We can stick it out with the best of them. Chest open. Inhale deep. Suck up all the wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pics look like paintings. So much sand...... The Mummy..... comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eli, I don't know if you remember me, but I can not help but send a note telling you how very impressed I am by your photos. The journey altogether sounds amazing, but what an eye and what a skill you have! Really enjoyed looking at them. Alina
    (I am a friend of your mom's from Vancouver, we have met very briefly several times)

    ReplyDelete